It's taken me awhile to do this post, as I've been putting it off, but I want to put it on my blog for journal purposes. How do you post about losing a father? It still does not seem real to us... Mike Pawlowski passed away, surrounded by his children and loving wife, on Sunday morning, November 22nd.
On Tuesday November 17th, Sheila had called us about his failing condition. Mike had a blockage that was preventing his liver from functioning properly and his condition was so bad and digressing so fast, there was nothing they could do. The doctors suggested to go home and call Hospice. Right away we made arrangements for John to fly out. He flew to AZ Thursday morning and was able to spend Mikes last few days with him. We are so grateful for that! It was a long three days with sleepless nights, but I don't think John minded at all. He said the whole experience was bitter sweet and he has had so much spiritual growth because of it. Sunday morning, John called to tell me he was not coming home on the morning flight and that it was Mikes last few minutes, 15 minutes later he called to tell me he was gone. My first thought was that the kids and I had to get down there. I looked at flights and was disappointed when everything was at least $250 a ticket one way. I gave up and got ready for church.
The kids and I were literally backing out of the driveway to go to church when John called asking if we could get to the airport in Cedar Rapids for a 12:40 flight. We HAD to be at the ticket counter by 11:40 to purchase stand by tickets using Jeff's' buddy passes. (Jeff is Mary's fiance' who is a pilot with the allegiant airlines and we are so thankful for him and his sacrifice. 6 tickets is a lot.) The time was then 9:50 and Cedar Rapids was a little over an hour away so I quickly calculated that we had around 30 minuets to pack. I knew this might be our only chance of getting there so I said I could. I told the kids, "Change of plans, Dad can't come home today from AZ, so instead we are going to go to him!" They all cheered, and then I said "but the only way we can do this is if we pack really fast and get to the airport. It was crazy, I told them to each get 3 pants, 3 shirts, 3 underwear and socks, and to quickly change and grab their Sunday clothes to pack also. They were great! I got one big suitcase and told the kids to start packing everything in there as I was throwing things to take in the middle of the room. I figured there was always Walmart if I forgot anything. *Note* I am also thankful for a wonderful friend who came later to make sure everything was shut off and locked up. She even did laundry and dishes and took out our garbage and took care of the cat. I'm sure she even did more that I'm not even aware of. Thanks Erin, I am truly blessed to have a friend like you!
It was a miracle, 25 minutes later, I had packed for 5 kids and myself for who knew how long, and we were in the car heading to the airport. We made it to the ticket counter with minutes to spare. Then I had the dreaded flight to face by myself with all the kids....Ugh! Luckily though the kids were great for the whole flight down, I swear I had extra help from above. :) On the flight I became overwhelmed by the Lord's tender mercies and have gained a strong testimony from this whole experience how the Lord is there and he knows your needs and he is always there to carry you through the hard times. I am so grateful for this day in age when we can travel such long distances in such a short amount of time. I was in AZ by 3:00 and was so thankful to be there with all of our loved ones at such a hard time.
The kids have been doing great. I was really worried how they would be since they were so close to him. I had told them the news on the way to the airport. They were really upset, especially Adam, he cried all the way. They had loved their Grandpa so much. He was so much fun!! We all try to keep an eternal perspective, and I keep reminding them that his spirit is very much alive, we just can't see him. Throughout out the whole experience including the last couple weeks we have had some neat experiences that have helped me come to realize how thin the veil can be. Bekah and Mike always had a special relationship, because she was his little girl. :) She talks about him all the time so matter of fact like he is here and like she sees him. I don't doubt that that is true. It just confirms to me that his spirit is here and he will always be with us. We all miss him dearly for he was such an important and special part of our family.
*Things we loved about Dad*
He was one of the kindest men I had ever known. He had so much charity toward other people. He was always concerned about anothers comfort. If you had ever been a guest in his house you know his first question always was, "Can I get you something to drink?" He was also a great conversationalist. He was so SMART! He remembered everthing he ever heard or saw. He loved Nova, I don't think he ever missed an episode. He had so much knowledge, especially about geology. If you've ever had a conversation with Mike I'm sure he gave you a geology lesson. Especially if you ever traveled with him anywhere. He loved to give lectures to his children about what things he thought were of importance. He was a wonderful provider, and always wanted the best for his children. He was such a fun Grandpa. He loved his grandchildren so much. He would motivate them to do their best and get good grades. He loved to find things in common with the kids that he could talk about like Star Wars, Transformers, or Indiana Jones. He loved taking them to McDonalds and Burger King so they could get the latest happy meal toy. He was so fun and loved to make his grandkids happy. He would even get down on the ground to play with them. When we would visit he would always grab the baby and take the kids across the street to feed the ducks, go on the paddle boat, or go to the clubhouse to swim. He would even bribe the older boys to do things like clean up their toys, scoop up dog poop, or even just to be quiet. (Let me tell you, Grandpa was a tough act to follow, he paid nicely). Whenever any of the younger kids would cry he would quickly give them M&M's to be happy and he would always sugar them up with ice cream and treats before bed, or before it was time to go home.
He was one of the kindest men I had ever known. He had so much charity toward other people. He was always concerned about anothers comfort. If you had ever been a guest in his house you know his first question always was, "Can I get you something to drink?" He was also a great conversationalist. He was so SMART! He remembered everthing he ever heard or saw. He loved Nova, I don't think he ever missed an episode. He had so much knowledge, especially about geology. If you've ever had a conversation with Mike I'm sure he gave you a geology lesson. Especially if you ever traveled with him anywhere. He loved to give lectures to his children about what things he thought were of importance. He was a wonderful provider, and always wanted the best for his children. He was such a fun Grandpa. He loved his grandchildren so much. He would motivate them to do their best and get good grades. He loved to find things in common with the kids that he could talk about like Star Wars, Transformers, or Indiana Jones. He loved taking them to McDonalds and Burger King so they could get the latest happy meal toy. He was so fun and loved to make his grandkids happy. He would even get down on the ground to play with them. When we would visit he would always grab the baby and take the kids across the street to feed the ducks, go on the paddle boat, or go to the clubhouse to swim. He would even bribe the older boys to do things like clean up their toys, scoop up dog poop, or even just to be quiet. (Let me tell you, Grandpa was a tough act to follow, he paid nicely). Whenever any of the younger kids would cry he would quickly give them M&M's to be happy and he would always sugar them up with ice cream and treats before bed, or before it was time to go home.
He was such a remarkable man and achieved remarkable things! He really did endure to the end. I don't think he himself was ready to go. He fought so hard for his life. He truly LIVED is life and did what he loved, and accomplished so much! We are all better people for having him in our lives. We are very sad to see him go. We were not ready yet to give him up, but I don't think we ever would have been. There comes a time when the Lord calls us all home regardless if we are ready or not. We need to remember to love each other now and never take a moment forgranted and to be ready. We never know what tomorrow may bring!
Grandpa doing what he did best!
Thanksgiving visit 2008
The Pawlowski Boys
John, Mike, Steve, Dave
John, Mike, Steve, Dave
Christmas 2007

Mike and the Dynamic Trio
Thanksgiving 2008
August 8th, 2009
Williams Fields Airport, Mesa AZ
(our last time to see Grandpa before heading home)
(our last time to see Grandpa before heading home)
4 comments:
What a wonderful tribute to your father-in-law. Isn't wonderful when you make out like a bandit in the in-law dept.? I sure have loved it!
You will all be in our prayers and may the hope and peace of this special season be wrapped around you.
Thank you for your post. I'm so sorry for your loss, but we all know we will see our loved ones again. I'm so thankful for your post and how I felt the spirit in your words. We miss you.
I had tears streaming down my face while reading this...seems like we just went through the exact thing just yesterday, but it has already been three years. My heart goes out to you and John and especially for your kids. That was the hardest part of losing my dad was to see my kids so sad and not know the whole "big picture" of things. I truely believe the veil is thin...there has been many times I have walked in on one of my kids talking to him. Just find fun ways to keep his memory alive and talk about him often. Praying for you guys, hang in there.
That is so crazy! I hope things are going well and know our thoughts and prayers are with your family.
My husband's mom passed away two years ago and so I understand a little of what you are going through. It's so hard to lose a parent and yet, you're right in saying we would never be ready to give them up. I'm so thankful for the knowledge of the gosple and the comfort that brings.
Post a Comment